Aug. 15, 2018: SAA-Sponsored Community Engagement Workshop
Integrating Archival Education with Technology & Research
Organized by the DCIC and Harvard Library
Organizers: U. Maryland iSchool/DCIC: Michael Kurtz, Bill Underwood, Katrina Fenlon, Richard Marciano
Harvard Library: Daina Bouquin (Space Librarian and Data Scientist)
Workshop Flyer: SAA_workshop_flyer18
8:30 am: Registration and coffee / snacks
9:00-9:30: Welcome; Orientation to DCIC technical capabilities and future engagement opportunities
- “DCIC WWII Japanese-American Relocation Camps” project — Bill Underwood
- “Mapping Inequality” neighborhood redlining project — Richard Marciano
- Developing big cultural datasets appropriate for computational and archival analytics.
- Optical Character Recognition
- Data Analytics/Data Management
- Geographical Information System referencing
- Python/SQL Programming
10:45-11:45: Brainstorming session on the feasibility, goals, and objectives of a cross-community collaboration. Those interested in developing a model for this type of collaboration will establish a framework to move forward.